If you live in France and move to another country for longer than just a vacation, here are my 10 tips to help you (with templates in French language):
1. If you rent a flat, inform your landlord that you move soon by registered letter with acknowledgement of receipt at leat one month beforehand, this may vary so the notice period shall be checked on your renting contract – please find herewith a Lettre de résiliation bail appartement 2018,
2. If you are a mother, terminate the school insurance contract on the grounds that you move soon, by registered letter with acknowledgement of receipt, at leat one month beforehand (contact your insurance company to check the notice period),
3. Terminate the home insurance contract by sending the exit inventory to your insurance company on the last day of the tenancy by email asking them to terminate the home insurance contract because you just left the flat (once you arrived in your new place, check they received it properly as you should receive a “lettre de résiliation” from them),
4. If you keep generating income from France, fill in form N°2042-NR, which completes your tax declaration if you move abroad or before you come back to France during the year, as soon as income from France has been generated after the move abroad or before the come back to France,
5. Moreover, French tax authorities need to be made aware of the bank account you opened abroad,
6. As regard to your internet box, this is the example of what shall be done for SFR (according to your provider, the formalities may vary: in any case, check with your internet provider how to terminate your contract): send a registered letter with acknowledgement of receipt within two months before the move at “Service de résiliation SFR, TSA 30103, 69947 LYON cedex 20 with a documentary proof of your move for a duration over a year to avoid paying fees of 49 euros then print the labels SFR will send you and bring your box and cables to a post office to send it back to SFR (I provided my renting contract in Tunisia, which has a duration of a year, as a proof) – please find herewith a template of Lettre de résiliation box SFR 2018,
7. For your mobile phone, this is the example of what shall be done for SFR (according to your provider, the formalities may vary: in any case, check with your mobile phone provider how to terminate the contract): send a registered letter with acknowledgement of receipt at “Service de résiliation SFR, TSA 30103, 69947 LYON cedex 20” at least 10 days beforehand with the reason for terminating the contract – please find herewith a template “Lettre de résiliation portable SFR 2018“,
8. If your mobile phone is working with Bouygues télécom, all you have to do is phone 614 at least 10 days before the move (fees are 6 euros) or online (free),
9. As regard to the electricity provider if you use EDF, phone EDF on the day of your move at 09 69 32 15 15 giving the meter reading (peak and off-peak hours, if applicable), then ask them to terminate the contract indicating an address in France so they can send you the last invoice, such address can be a friend’s,
10. Lastly as regard to social security services, inform them of your new address online on their website (ameli.fr).
One last tip outside formalities is vacuum bags. They were so handy for duvets and clothes. I managed to move from France to Tunisia with only one suitcase thanks to them.